Summation of resources from today’s class. Use these as needed for evidence on your editorial planning sheets.
Use any of these opinion poll findings as a foil for your editorial. In other words, respond to one of the questions’ findings.
Gallup Opinion Polls:
Immigration in general
Report on the immigration poll with summaries of attitudes
Basic Feelings of US citizens towards immigration
Pew Research Center Polls:
Support for Undocumented Immigrants
Policy differences includes opinions on crime
II. The Numbers
Now we want to compare perception to reality. So take an opinion we found, for example “72% [of Americans] believe immigrants take the jobs Americans don’t want” from a Jan 2017 Gallup poll. Now we can look at what jobs are immigrants most likely to have. Are they jobs citizens don’t want?
Illegal Immigration Facts, Pew
DACA Facts, Pew
Immigrant Educational Attainment, US Census
Immigrant Contribution to Job Creation as Business Owners Pew
Where Unauthorized Immigrants Work Pew
Impacts of various DACA proposals Migration Policy Institute PDF to be downloaded
Demographics of Immigrants Pew Hispanic Research Center
Unauthorized Immigrants in Workforce Pew Hispanic research Center
Immigrant Workers by Industry Pew Hispanic Research Center
Rise of Federal Immigration Crime Pew Hispanic Research Center
- Among unauthorized immigrants sentenced in federal courts in 2012, 68% were convicted of “unlawfully entering or remaining in the United States,” 19% were sentenced for drug offenses, 7% were sentenced for other immigration related offenses and the remainder (6%) were sentenced for other crimes.
Use of Education System by Children of Unauthorized Immigrants Pew Hispanic research Center
Education level of Today’s Immigrants Pew Hispanic Research Center
Report on Public Benefits for Immigrants in States Pew Charitable Trust. As mentioned in class there is a 5-year waiting period for qualified immigrants to receive benefits at the federal level. However, states can and most have put in place exceptions extending financial assistance to new immigrants before the five-year waiting period. Scroll down in this report the data is in middle to end.
Criminal Immigrants: Demographics CATO Institute
Crime and Immigrants PolitiFact
“Crime is Even Lower in Diverse Neighborhoods”
For Dec 14:
- Completed editorial planning sheet
- Read TS/IS chapter 8 “As A Result: Connecting the Parts”
- Add any other sources you find to the comments, please.
- UPCOMING DEADLINES:
- Dec 14 Planning Sheet – bring to class
- Dec 21 Email me your draft
- Jan 5 Email me your final paper
- Best TV of 2017 American Vandal is at the top of the list (yes, an appeal to authority)
- In case I cannot decide on the two wallpaper swatches and go another direction, you may return to this in February.